Well, sort of. We went to the LRC's new spa to have Stella's hair cut. It's a super-fancy spa so if I walked in there and found out they charged the same prices as our hotel, I wouldn't have been surprised. But, they don't. It's a not-for-profit club and subsidized by dues (that Dan's firm pays), so my hair cut (best of my life with a 20 minute head massage) was $320 HKD or $41 USD. Stella's was $120 HKD or $15 USD. They can not accept gratuity either which is another bonus. So, I packed up all of our gear plus travel car seat and got us into the cab. I figured we'd stay and have dinner if Stella was cooperating because eating there is much cheaper than anything I could fix at home.
We got there a little bit early so we went to the indoor kids playroom next to the spa. There was a family of 3 kids in there, two girls and a boy. They were playing peek-a-boo with Stella and she was climbing all over the blocks laughing hysterically. She pitched a fit when we left because she was having a good time. We checked into the spa and they sent us into the posh waiting room, which is par for the course here in HK. They have super comfy lounge chairs, magazines, ginger tea (my favorite) and all sorts of cool relaxing stuff to enjoy while you wait for your treatment. Our hotel has whirlpools, saunas, massage chairs and they specifically tell you to arrive 30 minutes early, at least, so that you can just putz around in there. It's soooo worth it. Stella was like a bat out of hell in the waiting room climbing all over the lounge chairs and shredding up magazines. I thought I'd take a nice picture of her and Teddy on the lounge chair but that proved next to impossible (see above). She was trying to visit the poor lady in the section next to us. The sections are divided by glass and sheer curtains. Stella has learned how to play peek-a-boo with curtains. I had a half a cup of tea and then we were ushered into the hair salon. Stella sat on my lap and would not sit still. They had a DVD player running cartoons and I had brought books and everything I could think of to help her sit still. The lady cut off a ton of hair but you can't really tell in the photos that her hair was even cut. We were in there for almost 30 minutes and she said that if I didn't like it, I could come back for free and have it adjusted. But, she was so patient as Stella was whipping her head around that it's just good enough for now.
We then went to the playground and I ordered Stella dinner (grilled salmon and veggies off the kid's menu) and a club sandwich and wine for myself. The floor underneath the slides is very cushy. We wish we could find these floor tiles for our backyard. Because of the softness, she walked everywhere. She just walked/toddled around the playground for almost 2 hours. There were mostly older kids. Stella wants to be a big girl so badly. She tries to do everything that they do. A couple of older girls played with her for a while and she thought that was just the best. I was disappointed Dan was working because the improvement in her walking today was just incredible and she was soooo well-behaved.
She also figured out that if she threw food on the ground, the birds would come. In the last few weeks, she's developed a huge love of animals. Luckily, she figured that out at the end of dinner after inhaling her salmon filet.
But, my worst fear about her getting her hair cut came true when a little girl named Katie asked me if Stella was a girl or a boy! We'll need to keep wearing the bows.


No comments:
Post a Comment